“Fire on the River”
Starlight Paddling & Sandbar Camping!
Several of us have enjoyed this event many times. It was cancelled last year due to the drought. So we are going to try again this year.
When- Sat/Sun July 6th/7th. Arrive at our base house Saturday afternoon to set up camp.
Where- The Lower Wisconsin River (5 miles north of Mazomanie).
What- We will set up tents on the Island across from our base house Saturday afternoon, have some food / drinks (potluck). Around 6 in the evening we will drive up to the Sauk Prairie area, unload boats, paddle out to where the fireworks are launched (Called “Fire on the River”), anchor, and enjoy the show.
We will then have a leisurely float downriver under the stars to our island campsite. The following morning, we will provide coffee, juice and pancakes to all the campers at our base house.
A few other points to consider:
- We have some extra canoes / paddles / PFD’s at our disposal as well as a means to transport them.
- We have room for the less adventurous campers to sleep in our base house, screen porch, or yard.
- A few notes on how we’ve done this:
- We have tied the boats together into a raft for stabilization and anchored them in place to watch the fireworks off shore from the VFW Park in Prairie du Sac.
- Paddling to the camp site occurs in the dark, hopefully under a clear, starlit sky (there will be little moonlight given the “Waning Cresent” moon phase). For safety, we highly recommend you be sure everyone in your party is wearing their PFD’s).
- When the journey begins there are quite a few other boats out on the water motoring around and it helps to have a flashlight on so you will be easily seen. Headband lights work great! (A light of some sort is required by law)
Weather- we can easily modify plans if the weather forecast makes a 3-4 hour nighttime float unpleasant.
Transport. We have generous, kind, experienced, volunteers who are also tireless Lower Wisconsin Riverway advocates.
Friends of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway (FLOW) love to share the beauty of the Lower Wisconsin River with others with the hope of broadening the advocacy base for this unique stretch of undeveloped waterway. FLOW has often emphasized the importance of encouraging the younger generation to unplug and enjoy the outdoors. So don’t hesitate to consider joining this event and please share this invitation with others!
For more details about joining the adventure…
Please call: 608-575-0325